Sunday, June 28, 2009

Heritage Days Part 2!






So Heritage Days is officially over. It's pretty sad. But I have learned, "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." I don't remember where I heard that, but I like it! Anyways, like in my last Heritage Days post, this post is mostly for myself to be able remember everything in detail. This week has been the most incredible week ever and I feel so lucky to be able to have participated in it all! So, I shall begin.

Thursday - The Childrens' Parade
On Thursday I got to lead the Syracuse City Children's Parade! For some reason it actually took place at Bluffridge Elementary, but that doesn't really matter. The theme for the parade was "The Stone Age." I dressed up in my first attendant's costume of Pebbles Flintstone. I wore a pink toga looking thing with black spots all over it and pink leg warmers with a black skirt. It was pretty funny. The Standard Examiner took a picture of all of the Royalty all dressed up, so look for it in the paper! We led all of the hundreds of kids around the Bluffridge Track. It was the smallest parade ever, but all of the little kids had fun. After the parade the Royalty painted faces. Everything there was free! We had bouncy's, games, and food. I loved painting the faces! It was so much fun! The little kids were so cute. I probably painted around fifty faces but I loved doing it! I painted things like snakes, flowers, butterfly, dolphins, and even spiders. (One of the girls painted horses! She is way talented!) I mostly painted by hand but we did have some stamps that we painted and then stamped onto the kids' faces. Thursday night was a night I will never forget!

Friday - Booths and Entertainment, Movie, and Concert in the Park
Friday was definitely an interesting day. We were supposed to stay at the park from 5:00 - 9:00, just kind of hanging out and walking around. Well, after an hour of that, I left to go to a Young Women's auction. While I was there, it started raining!!! Literally pouring rain! It was crazy. After the auction, I went back over to the park to check if anyone was still there, or if I needed to be there anymore. It was completely rained out. Everything was shut down and no one was there. The night was totally ruined and I was pretty upset. Especially because the parade was the next morning and I REALLY wanted to be in that. I was totally worried that it was going to rain!

Saturday - Pancake Breakfast, PARADE, Booths and Entertainment, Fireworks
Saturday was one of the longest days EVER! It was awesome but really long! So my day started out at 5:30 AM. I woke up to get ready and then headed over to the Pancake Breakfast at 6:45. It started at 7:00. It was the Royalty's job to serve everyone who came to it. We had pancake (obviously), sausage and hashbrowns. I only ate a hashbrown and a sausage because I don't like pancakes but they were good anyway. I was in charge of serving sausages. I gave everyone two when they walked by. It was fun but I couldn't wait for the parade. Plus there wasn't even a cloud in the sky!!! After an hour and a half of serving breakfast, the Royalty went with the AMAZING pageant director Marla Call, to her house to change into our dresses for the parade. Marla's house is GORGEOUS!!!! The way she decorated it is unbelieveable! When I have my own house someday, I am going to call her and have her design it for me! Seriously she should be an interior decorator!!!!! But anyways, back on topic. After we quickly changed, I met last year's Little Miss Syracuse, Brinley (Rhima?). She was the sweetest little eight year old ever. She was way talkative and a lot of fun! I am glad I got to ride with her in the parade. (It was her exiting parade.) So Brinley, the Other Teen Royalty, and I went and hopped into our white Mustang Convertible (brand new I may add!). We sat on top of the car and put signs on the sides of the car that said our names and titles. Then before I knew it, we were off! We drove down and lined up in the parade order. As the parade started, we smiled and waved at everyone we saw. People were taking pictures of us and clapping for us! It was awesome! I saw so many people there, the Brophy's, the Chandler's, the Stevenson's, my own family, the Butler's, and SO many more. I loved the experience of the parade and I truly hope I NEVER forget any detail of it. After the parade, the driver of the car took us back to Marla's house. It was funny, we drove along a busy road sitting on top of a convertible. Everyone was giving us funny looks! Plus while we were driving, the signs that we put on the car fell off. We had to back the car up and go get them! And then as we kept driving, we found the signs of the other convertible that had fallen off! Ha ha! Anyway, when we got back to Marla's house we changed back into our normal clothes and headed for the park. We were supposed to be there until 11:00 pm. I know, 6:30am - 11:00pm is totally crazy! Well I walked around the park checking out all of the booths. I even bought a couple cute watches from a company called Bead Us! If you want to look at the watches, their website is "beadus.com". Everyone was so friendly to me, it was a lot of fun!!! I even won a prize from getting three cards right on Mad Gab. Ha ha. Oh, and I won a pencil too! I spun a wheel, it landed on a dinosaur, and I got a color changey pencil!!! It was awesome! I saw a lot of people I knew here too! Such as the Robinson's, the Kimball's, the Jensen's, the Fink's, and many many others! McKenzie even walked around with me a lot during the day so that I wasn't by myself. I ate this amazing funnel cake and churro while I was there! Yum! I also had a couple soda's and two Wedding Cake flavored snow cones! Also yum! There was tons of booths and food stands to look at that kept me very entertained. There was this one booth selling "Miche" bags. They are so cool. They are purses with magnets inside. So you buy one purse and then after that, you buy what are called "shells." They are designs that magnet on the outside of your purse. So they are interchangeable! They are really expensive, but I think they are pretty cool! Then we watched the finale of Syracuse Idol. It was fun. The Royalty was introduced onstage again and then we passed out ballets to vote on the Contestants. Afterwards everything was kind of getting shut down. That was at 9:00pm. The next event on the list was fireworks. I couldn't go because my mom thought that I would be home too late. So yeah. But Saturday was an incredible, amazing, awesome, fantastic, day!

I loved Heritage Days, and every part of my experience as Miss Teen Syracuse so far. Here a a few pictures of this week!













No comments: